After the purchase of the new home, it is very important to make a detailed inspection of the apartment. At this point, you need to check all the details before moving to the property, such as electric, hydraulic, drains, glass, coverings, among others.
It is also valid to check the quality of the aluminum shutters and frames of doors and windows, in addition to checking the footage of each room. Good lighting is a great help during the inspection. Therefore, whenever possible, visit the property during the day, accompanied by the broker or a representative of the construction company.
By doing so, you avoid future hassles and inconvenience. Want to know more details on the subject? So, check out the details that should be checked during the survey!
What should I observe in the inspection of the apartment?
To avoid future problems with the construction company, the ideal is to be as detailed as possible during the survey. So, take some materials with you, such as lamps, papers, pens, a bucket, a cell phone (with a charger), measuring tape, marble, among others.
Arriving at the property, the first step is to observe the general conditions of the building. Try to see if there are cracks, molds or other structural problems. If possible, try to talk to someone who already lives in the building to identify possible complaints.
Also, don’t forget to check the footage of your parking space. With the help of a measuring tape, check if the dimensions are within what was acquired.
Then stay tuned to all the items in the apartment. Always take the descriptive memorial to compare the document with the reality of the property. To help you in this mission, we have separated some tips for you to carry out a good inspection in each area of the apartment and avoid problems. Find out what they are:
- Photograph the details you are in doubt to use as evidence in a possible process.
- Using a measuring tape, check the measurements of the entire apartment. It is worth remembering that the price is calculated according to the square meter – indicated in the description. Thus, any difference in the length may characterize addiction and result in compensation.
- Evaluate the painting – it should not have stains or peeling parts.
- See if the brands and specifications of the finishes are placed according to what was promised in the contract.
- Open all doors and windows in the room and observe the ventilation and lighting. If possible, visit the mobile at different times of the day.
- If the furniture is installed, check the opening and closing of cabinets and drawers.
- See if the taps and drains that were placed in the project were delivered as expected.
- Test the toilet flush valve and note the water pressure. Also note possible leaks.
- Open the taps and check that all are working and that the water drains normally. Some piping problems can be indicated if there is a point where little water comes out.
- Pipes that have water heating must have the temperature checked.
- Check the sinks for leaks in the metal hoses or in the siphon, especially when the taps are open.
- Check that the sink countertop has been correctly installed horizontally or that it is crooked, accumulating water in a specific corner.
- In drained environments, analyze the trim of the floor using a bucket of water. Pour the liquid on the floor and see if it runs down the drain. In spaces such as balconies, it may be useful to use a hose or marble.
- Check that the logs are working and that there are risks in the metals.
- At water points, look for yellowish marks on the wall – as they may be indications of moisture.
- Do the inspection after turning on the power of the property.
- Check that the points of light, telephone and TV antenna are in the correct places. Also note the switches and sockets.
- Check if, in the light board, all the circuits of the property are listed.
- Press the bell to verify that it is working.
- With a cell phone charger, test the operation of the sockets in a simple way.
- Make sure that the sockets are properly identified according to their voltage – 110v or 220v.
- Test the switches and light points with a lamp.
Coatings and floors
- The ceramic walls must pay attention to the pieces that may show stains or cracks. Tap the plates lightly to find out if they have been properly seated, if the sound comes out hollow, there may be a risk of loosening, and the tiles may fall. Therefore, request that the settlement be redone.
- On internal plasterboard walls, observe the alignment of the boards and that the corners are not cracked.
- Check the leveling of the spackle. You can do this by looking at the walls against the light. Based on the corners, if the paint color and texture are homogeneous, everything is under control.
- Check the level of the thresholds and baguettes – a finish that is between one floor and another.
- Check the subfloor: there cannot even be a 3 cm gap, as this already affects the placement of the floor. Use a level ruler 1 or 2 m long. Marbles can also be used to spot the differences.
- Make sure the grout is well filled, clean and free from stains.
Frames, doors and windows
- Open and close the blinds and shutters to see if they are working well.
- Be careful and attentive, because, although they will not rust, these materials can scratch.
- Test the locks from the inside and outside, in every room.
- Check that the windows do not let wind into the room.
- Tap lightly on cabinets, doors, jambs and other elements that are made of wood. If dust falls, it may be a sign of termites.
What to do in case of problems with the property?
Presenting problems or not, the checklist of the entire survey must be checked by you. Check that all observations and requests have been noted by the representative of the construction company and take a photo of the document to have it as proof.
In case of defects, everything you find wrong must be sent to the construction company in writing. The responsibility for carrying out the repair is hers, which has 90 days after handing over the keys (in the case of apparent irregularities) to remedy the problem.
Regarding defects that only appear over time (leaks, leaks, infiltrations, etc.), the warranty period is one year from the delivery of the keys or from the moment the problem appears. In the case of irreversible irregularities – such as rooms with the wrong footage -, it is worth asking for compensation from the construction company.
All these terms must be stipulated in the apartment purchase and sale agreement. So, be aware of all clauses before signing the document.
Remembering that you only get the keys to the property after signing a term accepting delivery. Therefore, whenever possible, request repairs before that.
Once the changes to the apartment have been made, you will be called in for a new inspection, which usually takes place within thirty days after the repair request. At this point, be detail-oriented once again and check all the items again.
Now that you know how to conduct a good inspection of the apartment, check out 5 essential tips for those who want to buy a second property and make a good deal!